Friday, June 12, 2009

Birpurush, The Brave man

Birpurush, The Brave man

Translated by Barnali Saha


Imagine we made a journey together

Mother and I are going to somewhere far

You are riding the palanquin, my mother

With windows kept ajar

I on my mighty red stallion

ride next to you with valor

Clouds of red dust rise from the road

As my stallion's hooves forward strode


Twilight dawned and sun went to rest

And there we came extensive twin pond plain

Wherever I look desolation reigns free

No trace of life my eyes could see

In your mind you are anxious, and think, in what strange land have we come?

I tell thee, don't be afraid mother, yonder lies the bed of the withered river


Wild thistles and brambles deck the field

In the middle the meandering road is build


No cattle graze in the desolate terrain



They must have left for the village after sundown



Where we are headed no one knows



For in murk nothing is discernible



I thought I heard you say, "What light I see by the ponds?"







Just then, there they came raising a hullabaloo



Trembling with fear in a corner of your palanquin



To heavens you pray for divine backing



The bearers leave the palanquin and flee



In the adjacent thorny bramble they skulk and shudder



I say to you, mother, "Don’t be afraid for I am here."





They hold clubs and have disheveled tresses



Hibiscus flowers are tucked in their ears



I tell them, "Beware, don’t you dare step forward



Watch out my sword, I will cut you to pieces."



With retorted scorn they leaped up and raised a tumult





You say, "Dear son, do not go!"



I say, "Wait and watch."



Valiantly I goaded my horse into the iniquitous mass



The swords and shields clank and hit



What a terrible fight it has been



You will horripilate when you hear



So many were beheaded, so many escaped





You thought, your son is dead



Fighting with the villainous brigands



Drenched with blood then I debouch



And say, "The fight is over."



Hearing me you step out



Lift me and embrace me hard



You say, "Sonny dear,



what a disaster it would have been if you hadn’t been near."





Everyday so many things happen



Trivial and not so important



Why can't for once this be true?



Oh! Then it would be a great story



People would listen with bewilderment



Brother would rail in disbelief



"How can this happen, he is not strong"



But the neighbors would rave and say, "Thank god, sonny dear went along."

No comments: